Friday, November 09, 2007

Crazy Urban Legend

The kids are both sick now - runny nose, constant coughing and small fever. As all parents know (and most adults) coughing gets much worse at night. The doctor even prescribed a heavy duty cough syrup with codeine for Gray to help him sleep.

Last night, around 10-ish, we are sitting on the couch listening to Gray hack up a lung and I felt so helpless. I just wanted him to stop coughing and sleep. I got on-line and found a crazy remedy; another "Mommy Blog" that said she tried smearing the bottoms of the kids FEET with Vicks Vapor Rub and putting sock on and it cured the cough 100% of the time. REALLY?!? 100% of the time!?!? Okay, I hopped up off the couch, grabbed the Vicks and headed to Gray's room - what is the worst that could happen? Minty, soft feet right? I smeared that boy's feet in smelly rub and shoved the socks on - I was so quick I didn't even wake him up.

THE RESULTS: After this scientific test I can tell you it works. Now, not 100% but his cough reduced by 70% and eventually he got into deep enough sleep that is stopped. It was a miracle for my sleep that is for sure. I will let you know if this was luck or really works because Shane, Gray and myself are getting the treatment tonight.

Dr. Ronie signing off.

3 comments:

typingelbow said...

That is awesome, Ronie!! What the heck did moms do before the Internet?

Anonymous said...

We haven't looked in on you guys for a long time. The pics are great, especially Halloween kitty-looks exactly like you, Ronie. The Vicks trick reminds me of Grandpa Schurter. When I was sick as a child, he would smear me with Vicks (on my chest!) and wrap me in a t-shirt. The vapors really helped, but I didn't have to smell my feet to get the effect.
Love you all, Dennis

Anonymous said...

What a good thing to know. Is it EVER going to cool off? I wonder if it would freeze would it kill a few "bugs"? Hope everyone is doing much better by now.
Grandma